Welcome

Thank you for stopping by. Strawberry Monde is a smorgasboard of all the things I find interesting, ranging from current events to pop culture to fashion to food and entertainment. I hope you enjoy your visit!

Underneath it all



I first heard the name Alexi Lalas while reading Sports Illustrated for Kids (SI for Kids for those in the know) in 1994 shortly after the World Cup that year. I remember noticing him because of his hair color and he was essentially the only famous soccer player profiled. Back in the day Lalas had long hair and a long beard. He pretty much looked like my uncle Arnold did during grad school in the 70's and I thought this was hilarious. It was the nineties, grunge rockers and old hippies had long hair, not athletes. Looking at this picture now, I can only think about how Lalas was in his 20's during his time in the MLS.

Fast forward more than 15 years to the FIFA World Cup 2010. It is clear that social media has been a friend of this event because you couldn't escape the buzz if you tried, of course why would you? What's not to love about an event that truly brings the world together on (pardon the pun) an even playing field. The winners in this contest aren't determined by GDP or military strength, having the best educational system or strongest tourism industry doesn't score goals. The results come strictly from the most skilled teams with the most heart. On father's day I caught some World Cup coverage and who should be an ESPN analyst? None other than Alexi Lalas, MLS ambassador of the 90's. I heard the announcers say his name before I saw his face, which is a good thing because I likely would not have recognized him otherwise. Behold, the striking man that faced the camera:


Let us never underestimate the power of a decent haircut.


0 comments:

Post a Comment