Welcome

Thank you for stopping by. Strawberry Monde is a smorgasboard of all the things I find interesting, ranging from current events to pop culture to fashion to food and entertainment. I hope you enjoy your visit!

Freckleface Strawberry

I recently discovered that Julianne Moore, one of my favorite famous redheads has started writing a series of children's books called Freckleface Strawberry. It's about a little girl with red hair and freckles. I'm not a very freckly redhead, but I do have some and I love this idea for a book. As soon as I learned about it I hopped on my library's website to place a hold on it. (Sorry little girls, Madeline needs to blog about this so you'll just have to wait).

The book is downright charming. The illustrations, by LeUyen Pham are fabulously retro and capture the personality of the children in the story perfectly. Freckleface Strawberry doesn't quite rival the most established redheaded heroines of children's literature (Anne of Green Gables, Ludwig Von Bemelmans' Madeline, Pippy Longstocking, etc.) but this book is certainly a sweet way to teach children acceptance of themselves and each other.

I also came across this little video of Julianne talking about her inspiration for it:

0 comments:

Post a Comment