Welcome

Thank you for stopping by. Strawberry Monde is a smorgasboard of all the things I find interesting, ranging from current events to pop culture to fashion to food and entertainment. I hope you enjoy your visit!

Cali Bagby


When I was a senior in college I became friends with a woman named Cali Bagby. Cali was a journalism major and interested in everything. She is an avid outdoorswoman and wild animal enthusiast (we watched several Wild America episodes that year).

After I graduated we fell out of touch and I always regretted I hadn't kept in better contact since we had a close friendship at one time. Luckily with the miracle of modern technology (aka Facebook) Cali popped up in my newsfeed last year, and I learned that she was to be an embedded with Charlie Company, 7th Battalion, 158th Aviation of the Oregon National Guard, in the middle east. Cali spent 10 months there with the Medevac unit and returned to the US safe and sound.

Cali has recently returned to Afghanistan as a freelance journalist and is continuing to chronicle what she is witnessing there on her blog Cali Bagby, Combat Zone. She is currently embedded with Marines. I'm inspired by her both as an aspiring writer as well as an old friend. Not everyone has that fire inside them that makes you believe they are capable of great things, but Cali has it, and she had it when I knew her, even before she had imagined where this career would take her. The work that reporters like Cali do is essential to a free society, and I am equal parts proud and in awe of what she has chosen to do with her career. Stay safe and keep up the good work, Cali.

0 comments:

Post a Comment