Welcome

Thank you for stopping by. Strawberry Monde is a smorgasboard of all the things I find interesting, ranging from current events to pop culture to fashion to food and entertainment. I hope you enjoy your visit!

Insomnia and la vie en rose

Last night I found myself tossing and turning, unable to sleep. After a weekend trip to Seattle I was unable to shut my mind off after so much socializing, eating & drinking, and of course hours in the car. My go to for nights like this is generally a glass of water and a predictable, familiar movie. Last night's selection was Sabrina, the 1995 Sydney Pollack remake of the 1954 Audrey Hepburn classic.

The movie's montage of Paris always makes me a little bit heartsick for the summer I spent in France several years ago. As the camera pans cafes with outdoor seating, Notre Dame de Paris and Ile St. Louis, I can almost smell the boulangeries and rich espresso. I think of how nice it would be to just spend time inconspicuously writing with pen and paper while drinking cafe au lait as I did many an afternoon that summer.

In the movie, Sabrina quotes Gertrude Stein, saying "America is my country, Paris is my hometown." Anyone who has ever been fortunate enough to visit and fall in love with the French way of life understands this sentiment perfectly. I never understood before that fateful trip, how you could feel so at home, all by yourself in a foreign country. I'll leave you with a favorite line from Sabrina that I feel adequately sums up the French philosophy on stuff:
"More isn't always better, Linus, sometimes it's just more"


On one of the bridges crossing the Seine as the sun set


What helps you sleep well?

0 comments:

Post a Comment